Chief Information Officer and VP
Pace University seeks a Chief Information Officer and Vice President (CIO/VP) to lead the development and implementation of a strategic technology agenda that support Pace’s mission, strategic goals, and academic programs. The CIO/VP reports to the Provost/EVP in a newly realigned structure that recognizes the importance of technology in teaching and learning and optimizing student outcomes.
Pace University is an independent, comprehensive institution of higher education with nearly 13,000 students enrolled in six colleges/schools across three locations in the greater New York City area. A Doctoral Research University, Pace offers over 100 majors and more than 3,000 courses of study at the undergraduate and graduate levels in Liberal Arts and Sciences, Business, Computer Science and Information Systems, Education, Nursing and Health Professions, and Law. The University is committed to educating thinking professionals who are highly sought after as innovators and successful leaders, and who will positively impact twenty-first century society. Programs are offered in diverse settings, allowing students to choose between an urban or suburban experience. Pace’s New York City campus is located in the heart of Lower Manhattan across from City Hall and within walking distance of Wall Street. The Pleasantville-Briarcliffe campus in mid-Westchester County is set on over 200 acres of rolling countryside where Pace sponsors 12 varsity sports in Division II.
A spirit of optimism and enthusiasm permeates the institution as it completes the implementation of its current strategic plan and lays the groundwork for its next. Enrollments are on the rise, new programs are being introduced that will further enable students to meet 21st century challenges, and important changes are being made to the campus master plan. Earlier this year Pace began an ambitious master plan for the Westchester Campus that includes divesting the Briarcliff campus and bringing all students, faculty and staff to Pleasantville. By 2016, Pace will have new dormitories, upgraded academic facilities, an upgraded student center, new and expanded green spaces and athletic facilities to support a growing student population. Pace’s faculty are actively developing and delivering increasing numbers of online, hybrid and technology supported courses. New initiatives are planned to provide experiential and international learning opportunities to students. Finally, the University is expanding its research activity and expects to double its research activity.
IT At Pace
The CIO/VP is the senior administrator of the Pace University Information Technology Services Department (ITS), leading an organization of nearly 100 managers and staff in developing and maintaining an integrated, efficient, sustainable, and responsive program of information technology and infrastructure support services across multiple campuses and schools/colleges. Specifically the CIO/VP is responsible for the leadership of Administrative Computing Services; Enterprise Reporting; Academic Technologies; Technical Services; Business Intelligence; Telecommunication Services; and User Services. ITS works collaboratively with the Center for Teaching and Learning and IT staff in the schools and college to support faculty and student use of technology. Likewise, ITS coordinates with administrative leaders and departmental technology support teams to optimize the use of the Banner ERP system and other complementary technologies.
The IT Leadership Agenda
The CIO/VP provides a strategic vision and leadership for information, information resources, and technology that supports Pace's mission, strategic goals, and academic programs. The University has an ambitious, multi-faceted technology leadership agenda that includes:
• Contributing to the development of online learning strategies and deploying technologies and services to support expanded online, hybrid and technology enriched courses.
• Leading the continued implementation of analytics and advocating for data driven decision-making.
• Developing appropriately scaled research computing capabilities.
• Maturing information security capabilities and practices in light of increased threats.
• Spurring innovation and support for earlier technology adoption particularly in areas important to student recruitment, retention and success.
• Devising and executing a constituent relationship management strategy.
• Facilitating the continual improvement of administrative services.
• Supporting the development of the ITS organization; mentor senior technology leaders.
The CIO/VP will continue to build an ITS organization that delivers effective service, maintains reliable technology and increases its capacity to execute IT projects. The CIO/VP will bring a particular focus to improving project prioritization and IT governance practices, increasing the effectiveness of IT communications, and leading the IT infrastructure planning for the Pleasantville campus, including the move of the primary data center.
Experience and Qualifications
We seek outstanding candidates who possess progressive information technology management experience with a broad knowledge of academic technology, networking and server infrastructure, information security, telecommunications, administrative systems, web technologies and user support services. The position requires a collaborative leader with the ability to build and maintain effective relationships with diverse constituents to ensure that technology is aligned with and supportive of the University's strategic initiatives and goals. Successful candidates will have many of the following experiences:
• Participated in developing university strategies and led or made a substantial contribution to IT strategic plans.
• Led multiple large scale technology deployments and change initiatives from inception to on-going operations and optimization.
• Deployed and supported mature instructional technologies and evaluated and planned for recently emerged technologies.
• Led or played a substantial role in the deployment and optimization of learner and administrative analytics (business intelligence).
• Engaged in national dialogue about the potential of technology to support pedagogical innovation and improve student success.
• Implemented processes and practices to build IT capacity and improve services.
• Developed and led IT prioritization processes.
• Built consensus for IT decisions and directions in a complex, multi-division, multi-site organization.
• Provided leadership in a structure that effectively blends central and departmental IT organizations.
• Built high performing teams and mentored future leaders.
• Held positions that require frequent interaction with diverse stakeholders including trustees, administrative leaders, faculty, students, staff and external partners.
For consideration, candidates are required to have at least 7 years of progressive IT management experience in an organization of comparable size and complexity and a Master’s degree. Additional required qualifications include:
• Managed people, technology and stakeholder relations in a multi-site organization.
• Working knowledge of higher education strategic issues, culture and structure.
• Working knowledge and experience with the broad infrastructure, security, administrative and academic technologies of a university.
• Led complex, institution-wide deployments of technology solutions and services.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Experience collaborating with diverse stakeholders.
Experience as Chief Information Officer or principle deputy to a CIO, and a PhD or other terminal degree is preferred, but not required.
Nominations or inquires should be directed to:
Phil Goldstein, Next Generation Executive Search - firstname.lastname@example.org or
Mary Beth Baker, Next Generation Executive Search – email@example.com
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to submit a letter of interest and CV online at (URL). Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. However, to facilitate full consideration applications should be received by April 7th.
Pace University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Position Type: Employee
Mary Beth Baker
Next Generation Executive Search
25 Elm Avenue
San Anselmo, 94960