VP for Academic Services & Student Dev
VP for Academic Services and Student Development
Date Position Open: Spring 2015
Work Schedule: Full-Time, 40 hours per week, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Summary: The Vice President ensures that all areas of responsibility are successfully serving students’ educational goals and are consistent with the College mission. The Vice President for Academic Services and Student Development provides dynamic and strategic leadership to assist the College in achieving its vision for excellence: “promote academic excellence, student achievement, and support of diverse populations as a comprehensive community college.” The leader in this position is focused on the quality and integrity of all of the College’s academic degree programs, assessing student learning outcomes, developing high quality faculty and providing high quality academic and student support services. This person will actively serve as a member of the President’s Cabinet. The Vice President’s specific areas of leadership include the following: academic services, advising and counseling services, articulation and transfer services, career services, prior learning assessment services, student life and leadership, intercollegiate athletics, child care services, public safety & security, testing/placement services, fitness center & recreation programs, student conduct & behavioral intervention, developmental and educational support services, library services, instructional technology, noncredit instruction, strategic planning and assessment, institutional research and planning, and distance learning. The Vice President serves as the liaison with secondary and other post-secondary educational institutions. The Vice President for Academic Services and Student Development is directly responsible to the President of the College.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Actively serves as member of the President’s Cabinet and Leadership Team to advance the College mission and goals.
• Acts as a liaison with Board of Trustees including meetings and committees as assigned.
• Provides creative and energetic leadership in strategic planning by developing new initiatives that promote achievement of the College mission and goals.
• Supervises and evaluates the Academic Services Support Supervisor, Dean of Student Development, Dean of Academic Services, Dean of Library and Educational Support Services, Associate Dean of Institutional Research and Effectiveness, Associate Dean of Strategic Planning and Assessment, and Executive Director of Workforce and Community Education.
• Coordinates budget planning, monitors budget implementation, and ensures fiscal management across academic and student affairs operations.
• Ensures compliance with all contractual arrangements and the policies and procedures manual, including the faculty collective bargaining agreement.
• Provides the coordination and leadership required for the committee decision-making processes to ensure shared governance across the College community.
• Assesses and recommends facilities needs for academic programs, support services, and student activities.
• Recommends faculty candidates to the College President for appointment.
• Remains current with educational trends, issues and challenges for comprehensive community colleges.
• Represents the College through public appearances and presentations, both internal and external, including attendance at regional and national professional education organizations.
• Actively participates in Pennsylvania Community College Commission and other state and national higher educational organizations and associations.
• Develops and maintains an operational manual.
• Carries out special projects as may be assigned.
• Doctorate required from an accredited institution.
• Successful experience in higher education with a strong record of teaching excellence at the postsecondary level.
• Seven to 10 years of senior level experience in academic and student affairs, but will consider seven years of experience in either area. Preference will be given to candidates with senior level experience in both areas.
• Understanding and appreciation of the roles of student services and student development.
• Comprehensive knowledge, and demonstrated understanding and experience of: academic program development, implementation and assessment; student support services; instructional technology; library operation; budget planning and preparation; strategic planning; institutional research; noncredit instruction and fiscal management.
• Curriculum development/management experience.
• Prior experience working effectively within a collective bargaining environment.
• Demonstrated understanding of the values of shared governance.
• Understanding of, commitment to, and passion for the community college mission.
• Demonstrated understanding of trends, issues and challenges of a comprehensive community college.
• Evidence of community service or involvement.
• History of actively modeling a collaborative and collegial work environment.
• Success in working effectively with professional teams.
• Possess excellent organizational, communication, customer service, decision-making, judgment, problem-solving, and delegation skills. The ability to work well with the diverse needs of students, faculty, administrators, and community leaders. Results oriented with demonstrated effective leadership skills.
If interested, please submit a cover letter, resume, and an unofficial copy of the transcript of your highest degree to the Human Resources Office by 5 p.m. on Friday, December 19, 2014. Please indicate the position that you are applying for in your cover letter.
Send resume by January 30, 2015 at 5PM
Mail: 4525 Education Park Drive, Schnecksville PA 18078
Position Type: Employee
Lehigh Carbon Community College
4525 Education Park Dr.