IT Assistant, Level 1 (Provisional) - He
IT Assistant, Level 1 (Provisional) - Help Desk/Technical Support (School of Professional Studies)
Job ID: 12053
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Since its inception in 2003, the School of Professional Studies of the City University of New York (CUNY SPS) has launched sixteen degrees - ten bachelor's degrees open to students with 24 or more college credits who wish to complete their undergraduate studies, and six master's degrees - and more programs are currently in development. CUNY SPS leads the University in developing and operating online degree programs, and trains faculty throughout CUNY in online instruction. CUNY SPS is also the home of the Joseph S. Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies, which offers higher education programs for working adults and union members, and serves as a nationally-recognized center for scholarship and resources for labor, academic, and community leaders seeking a deeper understanding of labor and urban issues.
Reporting to the Assistant Director of User Support, the Help Desk/Technical Support Specialist will:
- Operate transport, adjust, and install/configure computing and related equipment.
- Communicate with technology users and staff to understand, identify, document, and resolve problems.
- Perform simple repairs to computing and related equipment. Provide computer troubleshooting and maintenance.
- Provide customer support and technical assistance to remote learners with VPN connectivity.
- Ensure prompt response to trouble tickets.
- Provide support services for end user requests, including troubleshoot activities and advocacy for the end user. Escalate end user requests to the appropriate support group, as necessary.
- Monitor system wide difficulties and work with the Office of Information Technology team and other support staff in providing timely notification of problem occurrence, updates, and resolution to appropriate groups, as required.
- Maintain a working knowledge of computer technology, network systems, and standard software and act as a resource of technical information to the end user community.
- Monitor the CUNY SPS Help Desk daily phone and email queue to ensure timely retrieval and processing of end user requests.
- Coordinate and manage the CUNY SPS Help Desk email request queue to comply with service delivery and service levels, as necessary.
- Provide Help Desk support by assisting employees and service providers with questions or concerns via the telephone, email, or in person.
- Strive to meet Help Desk support guidelines; enter all issues in the appropriate tracking software.
- Create and edit technical documentation; submit articles for IT Knowledgebase monthly.
- Install, upgrade, inventory, and problem solve computer hardware and software issues.
- Provide on call coverage.
- Assist in ongoing implementation of CUNYfirst.
I.T. Assistants perform entry-level professional work in technology-related disciplines. While areas of specialization vary, typically I.T. Assistants work in areas such as development/programming, communications, technical support, or similar based on the needs of the Information Technology area to which they report. Work tasks include resolving minor technology problems, monitoring activities, and maintaining documentation. They have latitude for independent initiative and judgment, under supervision.
This job is in CUNY's Classified Civil Service. The full specification is available on our web site at http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/ohrm/hros/classification/ccsjobs.html
1.High School Diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
2. A minimum of six months of full-time experience in a computer or technology-related position. Experience that is more than 20 hours per week and less than 35 hours per week may be counted at 50% of the requirement (i.e., two months of part time experience equal to one month full time experience)
3. Additional experience and/or education that can be met by ONE of the following: An additional three years and six months of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; an Associate's degree plus 18 months of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; or a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
4. Demonstrated English Language proficiency
5. A Motor Vehicle Driver's license, valid in New York State, may be required for some, but not all positions.
This title has three levels. To qualify for Levels 2 and 3, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.
- Bachelor degree or minimum three years of experience in Help Desk or Call Center support
- Proficiency in Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, web-enabled communication and Microsoft Office
- Experience in Blackboard, E-Sims, CUNY Portal, CUNYFirst, registration systems, and CRM systems
- Strong communication and negotiation skills as well as the ability to work collaboratively
- Energetic, well organized, and patient with a blend of technical and analytical skills, initiative, and independence
- Ability to prioritize, establish and meet goals and milestones, including the ability to make judgment calls and to respond tactfully in all situations
- Ability to work well under pressure and handle stressful situations
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-based, and customer service-oriented environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to install various software packages, troubleshoot issues, and resolve problems
- Ability to interact with staff in professional and courteous manner during problem resolution
- Experience with Windows servers, including administration of Active Directory
- Familiarity with various commercial software packages (McAfee, Outlook Exchange Servers, Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Professional Suite, Citrix, Crystal Reports)
New Hire: $41,175* Incumbent: $46,528
*This amount reflects a 13% salary suppression in effect for the first 24 months of employment only.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
You can view and apply for this job at:
Make sure to upload a cover letter and resume with the contact information of 3 professional references by the closing date.
CLOSING DATE: January 4, 2015
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Information Technology/Technical
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.
Position Type: Employee
Ref Code: 12053
CUNY School of Professional Studies
CUNY School of Professional Studies
New York, 10003